Week 3 - Trading Plan

I have been watching a trading course all week which has really developed my understanding on how a stock price moves. I am watching each video closely and taking notes and have finally come up with a rough trading plan that I will try to follow. I have not finished the course yet so I will continue to improve my plan before I start trading. 

Trade setup checklist:

  1. Analyse the charts using a top down approach to understand the key supply and demand/support and resistant zones and recognise the general trend of the stock.
  2. Find the 3 highest probability rate chart patterns and only enter trades which show these. I believe these patterns are head and shoulders, rectangle patterns and triple bottoms. Of course all of these patterns can be flipped and they have a similar probability rate so I technically have 6 chart patterns to look out for. These might change with more research...
  3. Before executing a trade make I need to make sure there is a clear spike in volume. This provides more evidence that a large change in price is about to happen.
  4. Check the sentiment of the stock and the general market and make sure the direction you are trading corresponds to this. If the sentiment is 50/50 or is swaying in the opposite direction to your trade then the likelihood of the trade being a success is lessened.
  5. Before entering a trade make sure the risk to reward factor is at least 1:2 so if I enter a trade and I risk £10, I want to exit the trade at at least £20. Also make sure to trade with an appropriate lot size as I only want to risk 1 - 3% of my account each trade. This point doesn't deserve a number because it is common sense.
I need to back test this strategy and see if it actually works over 10 trades. If not then I need to go back and improve which I'm sure I will do overtime as my experience will increase the more I study the charts and watch the trading course videos.